The results of this study in the Journal of the American Medical Association don’t surprise me. Pesticides kill the insects by damaging their nervous system. Young children are going to be more susceptible to that same neurological damage than adults. The study found that even eating fruits and vegetables treated with pesticides puts children at higher risk.
I have recommended for years that families not use pesticides in or around their home. Not only does it cause problems for those living in the house but also, if it is used outdoors, it ends up in the ground water.
I also recommend buying only organic foods if at all possible. There are certain non-organic foods that appear to have greater amounts of pesticides in them and these should never be eaten. These have been referred to as “The Dirty Dozen”. The most recent list of produce with the highest level of pesticides includes:
- Imported Grapes
- Sweet Bell Peppers
- Domestic Blueberries
- Kale/Collard Greens
The risk of ADHD symptoms went from 26% to 92% depending on which pesticide they were exposed to.
Much like overuse of antibiotics, using pesticides can cause resistance and actually create bugs that are more tolerant to the pesticides. It would make sense to find another means to rid your home of insects.